Tankless Water Heaters 101
It’s no contest. When compared, tankless water heaters are more efficient and often more cost-effective than storage tank water heaters. But what are tankless water heaters, how do they work, and what benefits do they offer? Here in this blog, homeowners can learn everything they need about tankless water heaters and the benefits of installing one.
So, What Exactly Is a Tankless Water Heater?
A tankless water heater is what the name suggests; it’s a water heater that doesn’t rely on a large storage tank like a traditional storage water heater does because it only heats water when needed.
Here are some other things to know about tankless water heaters:
- Per the U.S. Department of Energy, tankless water heaters are 24 to 34 percent more energy efficient than storage water heaters for households that use 41 gallons of hot water or less daily.
- Many tankless water heaters are eligible for tax credits and rebates under the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022.
- Tankless water heaters cost more to install initially than storage water heaters but have longer lifespans and cost less to operate than their tank-reliant counterparts.
How Does a Tankless Water Heater Work?
Imagine this scenario to get a better understanding of how instant water heaters operate:
- Someone turns on the hot water from a faucet.
- Cold water passes a flow sensor which activates the gas burner or electric heating element, depending on if it’s a gas tankless water heater or an electric tankless water heater.
- The burner or electric element heats the heat exchanger, where water flows through and gets heated.
- The heated water travels to the faucet
- The water heating process continues until the user turns off the tap.
The Benefits of Tankless Water Heater Installation
Tankless water heaters have many advantages besides only heating water when needed instead of keeping a big tank of water hot. Homeowners should consider installing a tankless water heater because of its benefits when compared to storage water heaters, such as:
- Better energy efficiency
- Lower utility bills
- Longer life expectancy
- Don’t run out of hot water
- Takes up less space
About S and J Plumbing
S and J Plumbing is a reliable plumbing company serving Arlington Heights and the surrounding areas. They offer 24-hour emergency service, personalized solutions, and upfront pricing with no surprises. Call them today for tankless water heater repair or installation in Arlington Heights, IL.